Sunday 3 January 2010

The Uxbridge English Dictionary

One of my Christmas presents was a copy of the Uxbridge English Dictionary. Compiled from contributions made by panelists on the excellent Radio 4 programme "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", it provides new definitions for old words.

Here are two pages worth, picked at random:

Feckless
(1) A censored version of Father Ted
(2) An unsuccessful Irish Lothario

Fecund
The one before "Fird"

Fiasco
An unsuccessful wall painting

Fibre-optics
The healthy alternative to eye candy

Finesse
A woman from Finland

Trifle
A three barrelled shotgun

Trigonometry
A cowboy's method for locating his horse

Trilby
A bee that rings

Tripod
A carrier for tripe

Truculent
Your kind loan of a Transit

Turpentine
A Geordie highwayman

If you are not acquainted with ISIAHC, you can find more info here.


Andrew

1 comment:

Stephen Chapman said...

I love "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue". I cant listen to it when I drive as I laugh too much.

Trigonometry... genius.