Tuesday 9 February 2010

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

It's funny how writing a blog works sometimes. I intended to post a William Blake poem, before toying with a Roald Dahl piece. The poet I eventually decided on could not be more different to either of those two.

Maya Angelou was born in America's Deep South in 1928 and faced a difficult childhood as well as the challenges of racial segregation. In the 50's and 60's she was active in the Civil Rights movement and in later life has become a much celebrated figure, best known for her poetry and memoirs. She has been awarded many literary prizes and honourary degrees and in 1993,she was given the privilege of writing a poem for President Clinton's inauguration. You can find out more about her here and here.

I've chosen what is perhaps her best known work, which shares its title with the first volume of her memoirs. Although about oppression, I believe this poem is, ultimately, uplifting and carries a message of hope. I'd like to dedicate this to my dear friend Connie, whom I know really appreciates Angelou's work.


I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The free bird leaps
on the back of the wind
and floats downstream
till the current ends
and dips his wings
in the orange sun rays
and dares to claim the sky.

But a bird that stalks
down his narrow cage
can seldom see through
his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and
his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings
with fearful trill
of the things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill for the caged bird
sings of freedom

The free bird thinks of another breeze
and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn
and he names the sky his own.

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing

The caged bird sings
with a fearful trill
of things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill
for the caged bird
sings of freedom.


Andrew

NB - I looked at this on various websites and there seemed to be a number of different versions of the formatting of the stanzas. My apologies if the above is not as intended.

My other featured poems in this strand of my blog can be found here.

No comments: