Monday 10 January 2011

The Day Today

Last night I watched some episodes of The Day Today which I got for Christmas. A TV version of the Radio 4 show "On The Hour", it satirises TV News in the early nineties and starred Chris Morris and Steve Coogan (including as Alan Partridge), amongst others. The show was written by Morris, who developed the theme further with Brass Eye, and Armando Iannucci, who has since been responsible for the brilliant The Thick Of It.

Here are a couple of clips which give a flavour of the show: 





Enjoy!

Andrew

2 comments:

Raybeard said...

'The Day Today' and 'Brass Eye' (together with the Alan Partridge series, especially the first, in chat-show format) were, for me, the zenith of TV comedy of, say, the last 20 years. They really found and tickled my own funny-bone. Afraid I didn't quite get 'The Thick of It', and the feature film even less. But certainly, 'The Day Today' and 'Brass Eye' were brilliant, LOL entertainment.

oneexwidow said...

Ah, of the shows mentioned, I'm least keen on Alan Partridge (although I would agree the chat-show ones are best).

The Think of It is a different sort of beast - the satire is more political whereas TDT and BE satirise the medium and AP satirises a particular type of media personality.

Armando Iannucci is a comedy god - albeit a low-profile and underappreciated comedy god!