Saturday 26 January 2013

Saturday Six 23

Good morning evening, welcome to another Saturday Six... This time brought to you by my new iPad... (Honestly, I do promise not to bang on about it too much!)

First this week, Caron reports on President Obama's second Inauguration and a depressing aspect of the American Dream: the unspoken assumption that there will always be poverty to be climbed out of.

Even though I'm an atheist, I am interested in faith issues. This piece on Buddhism piqued my interest, as it analyses the darker side to what is an often idealised religion.

Cameron made his BIG SPEECH on Europe this week - Mark Reckons that the Lib Dems should be in favour of his referendum.

I'm not a particularly sentimental person - but this piece about a straight teenage boy attracting the attention of his gay classmate and how he responded touched me. Not in a soppy way but because it illustrates how the world should be.

Julie Burchill's  rant in The Observer a couple of weeks ago shone a spotlight on the difference between free speech and hate speech. Polari Magazine discusses some of the issues and also analyses some of Suzanne Moore's attitude to sexuality politics.

Here's an infographic to end on - The Lord Of The Rings Project presents a handy history of the One Ring....

Andrew

No comments: